Duffy Insurance Blog

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Switching Plates From One Car to Another in Massachusetts?

with 2 comments

Regarding Mass. vehicle registrations, a.k.a license plates, we typically get asked a lot of questions when it comes time to buy a new car, but keep the same plates.  Sometimes people are buying a car  out of state and are not sure if taking their plates off their existing car and bringing them to the out of state dealership is legal.  Will this result in the insurance coverage “following the plates” prior to registration of the vehicle in Massachusetts?

With your questions coming in more frequently lately, we thought it was a good time to post on the Duffy Insurance blog directly from the Mass DOT. 

Transferring a Registration

Please refer to this section if you have purchased a new or used vehicle and want to transfer your existing registration to that vehicle. If you are applying for a new registration, refer to the Applying for a New Registration section.


To transfer a plate from one vehicle to another of the same type, the fee is $25.00 (effective 5/12/2008). A $75.00 title fee and the applicable sales tax will also be collected.

An individual, corporation or company may transfer an existing registration from one vehicle to another if the following conditions apply:

  • The registration is active.
  • The owners on the registration will not change.
  • Both vehicles conform to the same plate standards.

Is there a Grace Period for Transferring a Registration?
If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.

Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:

  • You must be at least 18 years old.
  • The newly acquired vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle or trailer.
  • You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle.
  • You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle.
  • The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle.

Please note, there is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.

For more information about the Seven-Day Registration Transfer Law(MGL c.90, Sec. 2), refer to our FAQs About the Seven-Day Transfer Law.


Written by duffyinsurance

September 15, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

2 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Like usual a very informative blog article. Nice Job.


    September 15, 2010 at 2:40 pm

  2. These guys know MA auto insurance – you should be using them for your coverage

    Chris Rossi

    September 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: